Here’s our Christmas gift to you, three healthy recipes that will make your holiday season stress-free in the kitchen. Enjoy!
Julia’s Breakfast Strata
This is a great brunch dish. It is made ahead of time and baked when needed, filling the house with a wonderful aroma.
- 8 eggs
- 3 cups low fat milk
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup fully cooked ham, bite sized pieces*
- 3 cups of fresh baby spinach
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (optional)
- 10 cups cubed bread
- Nonstick cooking spray
- In a large bowl, beat eggs; add the milk, mustard, basil and salt. Gently stir in remaining ingredients until well mixed. Spray 13-inch x 9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Pour ingredients into the greased baking dish. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, covered for 30 minutes, at 350°F for 1 hour or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
*You can use your leftover turkey as a substitute for the ham.
Servings: 10 – 12
Fennel, Orange and Almond Salad
For the Salad:
- 2 small fennel bulbs, trimmed
- 3 oranges
- ½ cup flaked almonds
- ¾ cup creamy blue cheese, crumbled (optional)
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- 3 cups of arugula
For the Dressing:
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- Thinly slice the fennel bulbs. Peel the oranges, removing all the white pith, and cut into segments. Toast the flaked almonds in a dry frying pan until golden.
- Combine the fennel, orange and almonds in a bowl. Add the crumbled blue cheese, cherry tomatoes and arugula. Gently toss to combine.
- Make the dressing by combining the orange juice, red wine vinegar, salt and olive oil. Drizzle over the salad and serve.
Yoghurt Parfait with Homemade Granola
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ cup raw almonds or pecan halves, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup shelled pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 2 Tbsp. light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. old-fashioned oats
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 cup of plain Greek yoghurt
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- Fresh berries
Directions for Granola:
- Toss almonds, pumpkin seeds, brown sugar, oats, salt and 2 Tbsp. oil on a small baking sheet. Toast on lower rack, stirring occasionally, until golden, 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool *
Directions for Yoghurt Parfait:
- Layer plain yoghurt in glass with homemade granola
- Add another layer of yoghurt and layer of homemade granola
- Drizzle with honey
- Top with fresh berries
*You can double or triple the granola recipe. Store in an air tight container for up to three weeks. Feel free to substitute any type of nuts you have around the house.