This past month, we have had the privilege of working with a wonderful group of kids from McMaster. Their enthusiasm in the kitchen and their new found cooking skills, blew us away. We are so proud to call them graduates of HealthyFam.
We took a poll with the kids to see what their favorite recipe from the session was. It was a unanimous vote- the kids loved the salsa and guacamole recipes. We have attached the recipes for them below. Make a grocery list this weekend and shop for the fresh ingredients in the salsa and guac. Enjoy your family fiesta!
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- 1 red chilli pepper, finely diced (seeded if you don’t want it spicy- optional)
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 sprigs cilantro, chopped- remove leaves from sprigs
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper to tasteOptional: ½ tsp of finely minced garlic
Cut the avocados in half, remove the pits and scoop out the flesh. Place into bowl with onion, chilli pepper, tomato, and cilantro and mash thoroughly, ensuring that a chunky texture remains. Add lime juice and salt to taste, serve immediately.
- 3 large tomatoes
- 1 small green or red bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2-3 tbsp lime juice
- ½ tsp salt
- Remove seeds from tomatoes and green peppers and cut into a fine dice.
Mix tomatoes, peppers, onion, cilantro, and garlic. Add lime juice and salt. Stir until mixed.